Friday, October 22, 2010

Gran Ola

I don't think oats (GF, natch) and I are meant to get along.

The first time I used them, they were supposed to mend happily into granola bars. FAIL.

The second time, they were burned to black. FAIL.

And last night, they turned out...well. No burns, no obvious dilemma or mishap. But the taste...definitely a problem.

The other problem, is that I can't quite put my finger on what's wrong. Too much oil? Too little peaut butter? Too little peanut butter is the reason most problems do occur, after all.

Here's how it went down:
2 cups oats
1t cinnamon
1t salt

Stir all together in a large bowl.

1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup maple syrup
1T vanilla
1/4 cup brown sugar

Mix all together. Once mixed, poor over oat mixture.

Now, stir all THAT up together. It should all be fairly well stuck together, with little pieces being crumbly, not completely unlike a cobbler topping.

I added a handful of both sunflower seeds and peanuts, tossed the mixture a bit, and threw it all onto a parchment-lined baking tray (the kind with an inch lip in case things get crazy in the stirring process) and pop it into a 325 oven. I checked every 10 minutes so the burn episode didn't happen (again) and stirred all them oats up for an even crisp.

After they were done (oats a little tan, looking nice), I let them cool completely on the stove before adding in a handful of dried fruit. I used mangos, raisins, and the "bits and pieces" of leftovers from Trader Joe's. You know the bag. Or is it "odds and ends"? Meh, I'm too lazy to go the 758,549 steps into my kitchen.

So, you see? The whole concoction personally sounds great. But the taste...is different.

Next time:
Melt some peanut butter with syrup on the stove, for a little more of that delicious nut flavor.
Use a different kind of seed/nut medley.

Then we will see. In the meantime, I'm going to go enjoy my second bowl of this strange, abstract granola.

Have a good day!

No comments:

Post a Comment