Friday, February 25, 2011

Brownie Covered Girl Scout Cookies

Without meaning to, I've developed a theme (read: last 2 posts) of helping you put to work those seasonal treaties that may be sitting around staring you in the face. Not that you should be giving those smiley faces on the Girl Scout boxes the stink eye, but if you're a kind soul and buy some from everyone and have 12 boxes on your countertop, you might want the next creative way to ingest them.



I pretty much find myself making sweet treats only for a special occasions, mainly because I enjoy sharing them with other people and have a reason to go all the heck out. Last night was the perfect time to get elbow-deep in chocolate, since today was a nice overlap of the last day at my current job (!!) and the boy heading off on a church retreat. I knew I wanted to make brownies for my (ex) co-workers and his retreat friends, because I had developed a deeply set urge for those cakey, fudgy choclatey bites, but I had an issue with just making brownies. After some research - behold, the Brookie (a darker, fatty version of my favorite Brookie):



With these 2 excuses, I ended up with 3 TYPES OF BROWNIES COVERED COOKIES. Yeah, and 4 in my piehole, for quality assurance, naturally.

courtesy of IKEA - my favorite cookie concoction 

not a huge fan coconut, yet these were my 2nd fave

classics, but not enough substance for me

These are incredibly easy to whip up, and fun, too. Your fingers get messy and you get powdered sugar eyelashes and you don't even curr that it's Thursday and you miss more than just the commercial breaks of your favorite sitcoms. Which BTW, how terrible is The Office these days compared to its glory days in the early years? It gets a few laughs from me, but not nearly as many as before. Which I guess is alright when you're too busy dipping cookies in brownie batter!

I first got this idea when I saw these stud muffins, coincidentally after I noticed we had an abundance of cookies on the homestead. Allow me to briefly explain my reasons for the ratings:

3. Thin Mints - I know, they're on the top of everyone's list, but they just weren't as substantial as the other two. I'm a food player, so it's important to be able to twist and peel apart layers, or at least get different elements in the brownie cookie. This one simply had a minty flava, which is dang good, but not....wild. Ya know.

2. Samoas - Getting closer to the fun factor. I like the coconut crunchy bits and the fact that they had a hollow center allowed the brownie to cook through the middle - bomb.

1. Singollas - Vanilla sandwich cookies with raspberry jam in the middle?! These things are begging to be covered in brownie. The jam melts, the cream-filled center melts and I melt. There are so many layers to this thing, I could hardly take consecutive bites without wanting to snap another shot of how beautiful they all were.
double time

Glorious. Alright, here's how ya do:

Brownie Stuffed Cookies
inspired by Picky Palate
makes around 30 brookies, depending on size

prepared brownie mix (I used whatever was on sale at Freddie's)
any type of cookie you like (may I please suggest a stuffed something or other?)
powdered sugar (optional, but it's pretty)


It's This Simple:

1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees; grease a muffin tin.

2. Mix up your brownie mix according to the package directions.

3. Toss some cookies (the only time I'll probably ever advise you to do so) in the brownie mix; coat em all up with batter.


4. Using your freshly cleansed fingers (cause you're wild like that), take them one-by-one out of the batter after ensuring it's thoroughly coated, and place individually in the muffin tin cups.

5. Bake for about 12 minutes, depending on cookie size - mine varied so much because the raspberry Singoalla's were quite heftier than the Thin Mints.

6. When they're done, let the Brookie's cool for a hot minute before running a knife around the edges, so they don't fall apart; place on a cooling rack.

7. When the Brookie's are cooled, sprinkle with powdered sugar.

* As seen in the Singoallas picture above, you can get extraordinarily wild and double 'em up in cups:


It makes for a big ass Brookie, but you can handle at least 1 if I inhaled 3.

1 comment:

  1. awesome idea! look what i found for you also: http://dreamaboutfood.blogspot.com/2011/02/homemad-thin-mints-low-carb-and-gluten.html

    ReplyDelete