Sunday, June 10, 2012

Hummus (GF) (Vegan)

I'm not joking in a serious manner when I say that the WinCo bulk food department has changed my kitchen. Since it arrived into my life a couple months ago, I've been able to make more apricot snack bars, almond meal, and all sorts of other treats that used to be daunting to make because of availability or cost. It's no lie that WinCo has some fantastic deals, but when you buy the majority of your food in bulk (which is typically cheaper anywhere you shop) then it's an extraordinary deal.

Take tahini for example. I am now certain it's the second most important ingredient in hummus and yet for years I haven't bought it because it costs $7 for a jar at the grocery store. Despite l-o-v-ing hummus, I convinced myself it was an optional, if not irrelevant, ingredient and omitted it form my hummus-making until today.


When I saw tahini in bulk at WinCo. Bet you didn't see that coming, did you?

Before, my hummus' (hummi?) always turned out chunky and tasted, well, like mashed up chickpeas. Today? My hummus tastes like HUMMUS. Who knew the tricks that ground sesame seeds could pull?

I followed this recipe to a tee, and as you can tell it turned out fantastic. I'm excited to test this out with different add-ins, like pesto and some Mexican flavors.

In the meantime, I'm going to ingest copious amounts of beans and tahini.




No comments:

Post a Comment