Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Birthday Apple Dutch Baby (Gluten-Free)

This past weekend was my hunky husband's birthday! I tell you, I love the simple celebrations of someone's special day. A warm breakfast treat. Gift wrap. Sprinkles...on everything. Not to mention using the day as another great excuse to hang out with family that gets together far too infrequently.


I used a different recipe for this "baby" than I did for this one. I went for the Festive Fall route using apples and pears than the tropical road with the mango and coconut. Oh, and real butter is involved in this version. Ohhh, that's a good day.

I used this recipe from The Kitchn, which I'm just going to assume you've heard of because it's one of the best online kitchen resources I've come across (not to mention the recipes. Oh, goodness). You know that one day you get every 82 when you find yourself with a spare hour? Yeah, use that hour to scope out that site. I bet you'll have more than 2 questions answered. 

But anyway - this recipe did not disappoint. This "baby" came out a lot puffier and delicate than the mango version, which I like because it means the edges are thing and crispy. 

Also, you know that whole saying "a watched pot never boils"? Yeah, well, "a watched pancake never puffs." 

Enjoy!

Apple Pear Dutch Baby (aka, German Pancake)
adapted from The Kitchn
serves 2-3

1 apple (I used Fuji) and 1 pear (I used Barlett), diced into 1/4 inch pieces
4 tablespoons white sugar, divided
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/3 cup unsalted butter
1/3 cup dark brown sugar
3/4 cup Gluten-Free flour (I used Bob'd Red Mill since I had a little left in my cupboard)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1 cup rice milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
5 eggs

1. Preheat the oven to 400°F.

2. In a small bowl, mix 3 tablespoons of sugar with the cinnamon and ginger and set aside.

3. Cut the butter into chunks and place them in a deep cast iron skillet or 8x8-inch baking dish. Put the skillet or baking dish in the oven until the butter is melted. Take the pan out of the oven and sprinkle the 1/3 cup brown sugar over the melted butter. Carefully spread the apples and pears on top of the brown sugar and sprinkle the cinnamon sugar mixture over the apples. Put the pan back in the oven to caramelize the apples and sugar.

4. Whisk the gluten-free flour with the remaining tablespoon of sugar, salt, and nutmeg. Gradually add the rice milk, whisking constantly with a large wire whisk to beat out any lumps. When the flour is smoothly incorporated into the milk, beat in the vanilla and the eggs one by one. Continue to beat by hand for 2 minutes, or until foamy. Let the batter rest for 5 minutes. By now the sugar should be bubbling around the apples.

5. Take the pan out of the oven and pour the batter over the apples. Bake for about 20 more minutes or until center is set and sides are lightly browned. The pancake will puff up like crazy but fall after a few minutes after you take it out of the oven.

*If you're a sugar nut you could service this with syrup or slightly sprinkled with powdered sugar.

No comments:

Post a Comment