Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Caramelizing Onions

Are you cooking for one?

Yes? Good.

Oh, no? You're feeding your better half, toddler, grandma and your momma tambien?

Well then you had better hope they want sweet, juicy onions on everything they eat the next few days, because that is exactly what YOU will be doing.

Last week, carmelized onions fit into my personal "gourmet food" category, the type of food I would spy on a menu and immediately order because a. I dream of onions, b. there's no way I could ever caramelize my own onions and c. I don't like fresh breath.

Then I stole the most recent Taste of Home magazine from my mom and saw an article on how to (yea, you guessed it) caramelize onions.

With 2 ingredients, I'll let my pinky toe do all the work - it's that simple.

You can use any white or sweet onion for these, but the Taste of Home article reccommended just regular yellow onions, which I went with. But guarenteed, I will be testing out the others soon!

I used them to put on pizza, and then I used the little leftovers I had to put in a salad - totally jazzed the greens up to full flavor.



 
Caramelized Onions
I would use one onion for every person eating, although leftovers can come in handy for some extra flavor to...well, anything.

Yellow Onion
olive oil

1. Lob the top and bottom of your onion off; cut in half; peel.

2. Slive the 2 onion halves in narrow, crescent slivers.

3. Throw the onions in a frying pan with a little olive oil over medium heat; as it all heats, stir the onions around so they're all evenly coated with oil.

4. Keep on medium-low heat for the next 20 or so minutes, until they're all brown and gloriously coated in their own juices; at this point you could also season with salt or some sugar to accentuate their natural sweetmess.


No comments:

Post a Comment