Sunday, February 6, 2011

Saucy Vegan Spring Rolls

My stomach is rebelling. I don't think my body is into the whole gorge-on-as-much-dairy-as-your-grubby-fingers-can-get plan as much as my eyes are. It's a sort of civil war, but this one has an easy solution that can be fixed up if you have a little time. And your running shoes, there's a lot of that pot-chasing that I mentioned these require none of.


A few words about these buggers:

You will need rice wrappers, which I found in the Asian section of Fred Meyer. Have I confessed to you my love for Freddies? I don't think so, and I definitely don't have enough time for that now.

Go WILD, toss in whatever veggies you want, just remember to plan accordingly and know that harder veggies like potatoes will take longer than the cabbage to cook.

They taste GOOD. Like, I inhaled mine. And then the boy's. And then I had to get my tucas up and make more because hungry boyfriends < full boyfriends.


Vegan Spring Rolls
Makes 8-10 rolls

1 cup broccoli florets (mine came straight from the freezer)
2 tablespoons garlic
1/2 package diced tofu
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 cups thinly sliced cabbage
1/2 cup garbanzo beans
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 1/2 cups cooked rice
10 sticks asparagus
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons Hoisin sauce
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 teaspoon lime juice
1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
1 package of rice wrappers
cilantro if you wish (I wished)

Here we go:

1. I like my tofu on the crispy side, so I begin by heating the tofu, garlic and broccoli up over medium heat with the vegetable oil; saute for about 5 minutes until the tofu is a little brown and before the garlic burns.


2. Add the sliced cabbage, garbanzo beans and white wine; bring to a boil for a minute, then turn the heat back down to a simmer and cover; stir about every 5 minutes.


3. In the meantime, place your asparagus spears in a steamer basket (I had to tear mine in half to fit) and place over a pot that is half full of water; bring the pot to a boil and steam the asparagus.


5. While your asparagus and cabbage are going (this is when you begin to sweat a little and realize you should up your jogging mileage. At least, that was my situation), mix together the soy sauce, Hoisin sauce, ground ginger, brown sugar and lime juice until combined.



6. When your cabbage mix is all nice and soft, turn off the burner; plop the peanut butter on and pour in the Hoisin sauce mixture; stir the whole pan up so it's all lovingly incorporated.



7. Turn your faucet on to a small drizzle of cold water, and run one rice wrapper underneath the water flow, turning it around so the water hits the entire wrapper evenly. You'll want the wrapper to be soft and pliable, but not disintegrating in your hands - mine took about 15 seconds.


8. Lay the wrapper on a flat surface and fill with rice, an asparagus spear, the saucy cabbage mixture and cilantro; roll the wrapper around its insides, making sure to tuck the ends in as you go.


9. I double-wrapped the majority of these because I'm a terrible wrapper roller and guts were falling out everywhere. Do what needs to be done!

No comments:

Post a Comment