HAPPY NATIONAL NUTELLA DAY!
The recipe I'm posting right now has absolutely zero Nutella in it!
(Dumb. Bad planning.)
BUT, it is completely possible to spread some chocolately-hazelnutty schmear on this bread, especially when it's still warm from the oven.
Those pear chunks? Bountiful. And beautiful. Both on the eyes and on the taste buds.
Make this bread one morning, and good things will happen. Your windshield will scrape itself, your bills will be paid by your neighbor, and your hair won't have any static electricity.
(If any of that stuff does not occur, don't blame the bread. Blame the playa.)
Vegan Spicy Pear Bread
Makes one 9x5 loaf
*Wild: If you decide to go vegan with me on this, I used the baking powder/oil/water substitute, which is 2 tablespoons water, 1 tablespoon oil and 2 teaspoons baking powder. If not, use an egg!
1 Egg substitute
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup applesauce
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/4 (about 1 large) peeled and chopped pear
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 3/4 cup gluten-free flour blend (I used Pamela's, of course)
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 350 and grease baking dish.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the egg substitute, vegetable oil, applesauce and sugar.
3. Fold in the pear and vanilla.
4. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour and spice.
5. Gradually add in the dry flour mixture to the wet mixture; fold all together just barely to incorporate all the ingredients.
6. Using a spatula, scoop the mixture into your baking dish and slide into the oven.
7. This takes about 55 minutes to cook, but I noticed it was starting to brown at 40 minutes so I covered it with tinfoil the last 15.
8. (optional) (not optional) Schmear some of the Nutella on a slice and go MMMMMMM.
9. Repeat step 8.