Friday, February 18, 2011

Goat Cheese Stuffed Fig Muffins



This week I had a dentist appointment. I left that appointment with clean, sparkly whites only to dig in on my brother's last birthday cupcake at my parent's house. SIN and SIN. But what else would I do with the 5 minutes of free time before I caught the next ferry? Certaintly not eat a cupcake. With a surprise chocolate hidden inside. Yessir, I'll have another.

Anyway, what I'm getting at is these muffins are nowhere close to cupcakes. Yes, they are decadent in a cheesy fashion, but not in a "ow, sharp sugar pain in the tooth" way. I found these bad boys over here at Jessica's sweet site, and made a few adjustments.

For one I didn't use the oil, which made them more bread-like and fluffy than dense and oily - luuuhve it. I also bumped up the cinnamon and added in a little nutmeg for some extra flavor.
These are best enjoyed fresh and hot from the oven, when the cheese filling is all smooshy and gooey everywhere, and if there are any leftover later microwave 'em. You'll thank yourself.



Goat Cheese Stuffed Fig Muffins
Makes 12 large, 18 small
adapted from Jessica @ How Sweet It Is

3/4 cup goat cheese
2 tablespoons honey
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract

1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
pinch of nutmeg
2 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
3/4 cup light brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon lemon juice mixed with 1 cup soy milk (=buttermilk)
1 1/4 cups chopped dried figs



How To:

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees; line muffin tin with wrappers or grease it up.

2. In a small bowl, combine the goat cheese, honey and 1/4 teaspoon vanilla until combined; set aside.

3. In a large bowl, whisk together the cinnamon, nutmeg, flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.

4. In a separate bowl, whisk eggs; add in brown sugar and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract; combine thoroughly.

5. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients, and add in the wet; stir until barely incorporated.

6. Fold in figs.

7. Fill each muffin tin about half way; dallop a tablespoon of the goat cheese mixture on top and cover barely with about a tablespoon more of batter.

8. Bake for about 10 minutes or until set and golden on top.

1 comment:

  1. oh. my. science.

    that looks SO GOOD. can't wait to make it!

    ReplyDelete